Friday, August 23, 2013

Start Up

The day that Joel starts teaching is finally drawing closer. With only two days before he starts, I can tell he's experiencing a few butterflies here and there but his personality holds true. He always stays pretty calm and collected when it comes to business matters. He has completed all of his orientations, introductions, and meeting and it's time to meet his fellow teachers and the children. We've arrived at this moment with much anticipation and it hasn't been without it's stresses. The process of being picked and hired happened effortlessly but the start up of this new life hasn't been a picnic. The technicalities that we have to sort through are immense and often times seem endless to me and I wasn't even here for the whole amount of them! Figuring out a new apartment system, utilities system, banking system etc. has been quite the adaption. However Joel has weaved us through this uncertain time with great ease and it seems as if he's been made for this. After all he has traveled around and can easily adapt to other situations. 

When I arrived we had to visit the ward office to announce my arrival and give them copies of our marriage certificate as well as declare I'm here as his dependent. Although Joel studied Japanese extensively, this was something stressful for him because he had to speak totally in Japanese for this. He did wonderfully and didn't miss a beat! However I know he was a little shaken up due to the fact that he isn't used to using words and verbs that are involved in business matters and are more formal. One thing that I have noticed since I've been here and Joel has always told me about is the Japanese mentality of modesty. They are very modest no matter what is in question. Whether it be their craft, skill, their looks, or just paying them compliments they except the admiration graciously and are extremely humble throughout. Joel has always been modest, but he embodies someone who has a true passion for a culture. He has taken on this mentality of modesty and humbleness. When I congratulated him on his big accomplishment, after all he did manage to get us through this big task, he just blushed and told me things he could have done better. I don't think he could have been any more successful! His skills continue to impress and surprise me everyday. 

I am actually an extremely private person when it comes to my finances however, as any of you could probably guess it's not the simplest and cheapest thing to move across the world! Financially it has been stressful because it seems like expenses are endless your first month, and you also don't know what to expect your checks and bills to be like yet. Joel and I have gone through financial check lists and budgets a million times but ultimately the stress doesn't diminish and you never feel completely secure. I'm sure everyone can relate because this is not anything new and I think no matter how much money you earn you always feel the same way! However just when I think we are definitely going to be in the hole for the month, miraculously we're provided for once again. We have to remember to have faith and know everything will be okay no matter how grim it looks at the time. We have managed to wiggle our way through situations such as this before and have made quite an adventurous life for ourselves. Joel has felt somewhat guilty about this and has said "I can always get a second job." I said "Absolutely not, you have to enjoy your time here and we'll figure it out no matter what." I can understand his guilt and I know he feels like he has to be the provider. When he came to me a little down about this I explained to him that he actually has provided in the best way for us. He provided for us this once in a lifetime opportunity with experiences and memories that will last a lifetime. He provided the wonderful opportunity for us to further bond by seeing and experiencing fascinating cultural rituals, historic sights, and seeing new places for the first time together. I said to him, "I vowed for richer or for poorer remember?" And that's exactly what I meant! I'm rich in many different ways now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment