Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Strange meals and Geisha Sightings

I think that often times in the states, we like to classify foods into certain categories like Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Japanese etc. We have this notion that when we go to Olive Garden and get unlimited pasta or the soup, salad, and breadsticks combo that we are eating 'authentic' Italian food. I already had the idea in my head that this was all a facade when Joel and I headed to Italy, and our predictions about the food were correct. It was completely different than what Americans think Italian food is. The same idea applies to Japanese food as well. The restaurants here are not your average run of the mill American teppanyaki grill and buffet. It's much different as Joel and I experienced a couple weeks ago. 

We decided to head to the beautiful and traditional area of Gion to seek an authentic Japanese meal. Something that even Japanese people might only eat on special occasions, something to be admired for creativity and originality. We sought after a traditional restaurant on Pontocho street that was situated on the Kamo River where we could sit on the patio and admire our city. We knew of this pub around the area that served fish and chips as Joel had suggested, however I wanted a meal with a view. We were browsing the menus located outside of the restaurants. I was carefully inspecting the pictures and pretending I knew the Japanese characters I was looking at when all of a sudden I heard "Natalie!" "Natalie quick a geisha!" Seeing a geisha had been something on my Japan bucket list because I am completely mesmerized by this hidden mysterious culture. I quickly turned around and caught a glimpse of the back of her. She slipped down an alley and vanished, possibly heading to another appointment. In my scramble to snap a picture, I got a blurry one. However you can still see the exquisite fabrics, ornately decorated hair, and the slivers of sensual bare neck that is untouched by the white makeup. 


Completely in awe of what I was seeing, I looked at Joel with wide eyes. He smiled back at me because he knew that I had been desperately trying to find a geisha since I got there. It's almost like they are mythical creatures, like fairies, that you want to meet, follow, and talk to about their lives. Then out of no where another one pops out of a restaurant and quickly scurries down the path to an alleyway. Word to the wise, if you travel in Japan you might find some locals seeking the attention that geishas receive by dressing up like that and stopping to snap pictures with tourists while flashing the peace sign. This however is a ploy, real geishas are very mysterious and private. They are polite of course because they know people are curious about their work, but quietly excuse themselves to move on. I was able to capture a few more blurry pictures as I raced to snap pictures before they vanished. Check out the beautiful makeup and artistry. 


After the excitement, Joel and I decided on a restaurant and eagerly entered the establishment not knowing exactly what we were in for. We were greeted, instructed to remove our shoes and put on slippers they provided (this is the norm in nicer restaurants) and then seated outside on the patio. We decided on a set course meal and enjoyed the light breeze blowing along the river and through the patios lining it. Joel and I talked about bringing my parents and his parents here when they came to visit. 


We received our first course, sesame tofu. I don't mind tofu in general, but this was somewhat peculiar in texture and taste. Apparently one of Kyoto's specialities is this sesame tofu. I guess now I can say I've had it. The next course was an extremely strange salad. It had vegetables among other things in it that I couldn't identify. The dressing was amazing, but the texture was very crunchy and I couldn't get past it. It had some type of dried seaweed on top in extremely thin slices. I almost felt like I was eating shredded cassette tape! The next course was miso soup, which I adore, it's hard to get that wrong! We also received an assortment of sashimi. We were unable to identify all but two pieces of the sashimi which was puzzling because normally you receive tuna, salmon, maybe salmon roe or eel. Nope, it was completely different types of fish, one of which I think had to have been boiled eel. I couldn't stomach it, and Joel couldn't either. Keep in mind that we are EXTREMELY brave and adventurous eaters and have no problem trying new things, but this was too much too soon. I did however eat the delicious uni (sea urchin) that they brought. It may seem dramatic, however we just looked at each other saying things like "Maybe we made the wrong choice" or "Maybe we should have went with fish and chips!" Very comical! Dessert was a strange grapefruit gelatin thing with a cake bottom. Joel ate this, however I couldn't. I don't even like Jello! This was by far our craziest and funniest food experience so far in Japan. And don't worry parents, we won't be taking you here. 

The restaurant had an absolutely beautiful interior though. Joel and I think it must have been someone's traditional house from many many decades ago. 

Until next time, faithful followers. Keep reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment