Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lost in Translation Part 2

In the movie "Lost in Translation" Charlotte sits on the floor of her hotel room in Japan listening to a self help c.d. and trying to figure out her purpose in life. I definitely relate to this side of Charlotte because I too am on a quest to find my calling in life in Japan! In the United States dropping out of college is very taboo, and the norm is to go to college right out of high school. Some people have absolutely no problem with this and sail through with flying colors, however I was not one of those people. Sure at first I was very determined to find something to major in while in college, but becoming very depressed and pessimistic about my future, I decided to drop out and try to figure out what I truly wanted to do. That was one of the toughest decisions of my life, but thanks to my husband who is an inspiration everyday, I got through it and have opened up more possibilities for myself by doing so. 

I'm not sure what I want to pursue whether it be a college degree, being a stay at home mom, or being a traveler. They are all noble things to do. Through my travels and writing this blog, I have rediscovered my passion for culture, travel, and writing. I'm not sure where this will lead me but it definitely is something that I love to be involved in.

Joel inspires me so much because he was 27 when he went back to college chasing a dream. He was inspired by something, and it took great courage to leave the music world that he knew and loved to pursue something completely foreign to him. He was inspired by Japan, and now here we are immersed in what he loves and what I am beginning to adore. I wanted to see for myself what drove Joel to seek something self affirming, something tremendous. I am hoping that during my year here I can at least narrow down, if not be sure of what I want to pursue in life. I'm searching for something to inspire and entice me in that way, something that I can excel at. Wish me luck on my journey to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment